« What really happened at the Conclave | Main | Art for Sale »

May 02, 2005

Comments

NancyC.

"As a result of this dialogue, we have concluded that sales of the Eucharist, and similar highly sacred items"

With all due respect to other "highly sacred items", what else in the world purports to be the body, blood, soul and divinity of a resurrected God? For this they needed to "dialogue"? Just askin'.

Jane Wangersky

Alleluia! I'm glad I didn't get around to closing my account -- just threatening to!

Ambrose

Never underestimate the power of even just a few thousand angry Catholics.

Devin Rose

I am also very thankful to God for changing their minds and hearts and answering our prayers. That God submitted Himself to such sacrilege makes me realize even more how much He loves us.

Septimus

This was the smart thing to do. I suspect that when this got beyond the level of, pardon the expression, "computer geeks," to people who saw larger vistas, the thought of Ebay at war with the Catholic Church must have made them blanch. Quickly. After all, this is something that more "progressive" and conservative Catholics alike would agree on!

Some sensible person said, "we're going to really tick off 60-70 MILLION Americans...why are we doing that?"

Chris

There was another described consecrated host that was put up for sale on eBay by someone in Finland on April 29. It was taken down on April 30. I do have the link, but it just says the item was pulled.

Roberto

Nancy:

While we Catholics fully understand your point, others may not, since in the Eucharist they only see a piece of wafer. Let us be happy that this incident has allowed us to evangelize the secular society just a little bit by showing them our devotion and reverence for something they do not understand (Father, forgive them...)

There will be other opportunities to clarify the difference between the Eucharist and other "sacred items"

NancyC

Roberto:
"While we Catholics fully understand your point, others may not, since in the Eucharist they only see a piece of wafer".
If they only saw "a piece of wafer", they wouldn't abscond with it and offer it for sale. It is precisely because they know it is held to be more, much more, than "a piece of wafer" that it is offered for sale; the ebay directors know that. They didn't remove it immediately, and had to fudge the issue with respect for other "sacred items", because they didn't want the criticism that would have come if they showed respect for uniquely Catholic (and Lutheran) belefs. It's the age of relativism, remember?

lk

"While we Catholics fully understand your point, others may not, since in the Eucharist they only see a piece of wafer. Let us be happy that this incident has allowed us to evangelize the secular society just a little bit by showing them our devotion and reverence for something they do not understand (Father, forgive them...)"

It is precisely this that I have been able to see firsthand. A few of my friends did not see the reason I was so upset at ebay not prohibiting the sale of the Eucharist -- they simply did not understand the meaning of it. And they are 30 year olds who went to Catholic grade school. Thanks to this incident (however horrible it was), three people now understand the sacredness of a consecrated host and find it horrifying that ebay allowed it to be put up for sale.

TiaKay

Hey, it is my understanding that eBay is NOT going to update their webpage that states the forbidden items, they've just sent out the letter saying it's been changed to protestors. I haven't looked at the site myself, but a pal who was vociferously communicating with eBay says they aren't planning to put it on the actual listing of forbidden items....

Going to check for myself now....

Matt

What surprises me was that they weren't able to sweep it under the rug by invoking their ban on the sale of stolen items. (An item obtained through fraud is, after all, legally considered "stolen". And it's hard to see how anyone obtaining a blessed communion wafer with the intention of selling it can't be considered to have committed fraud thereby.)

Such a ruling would have the virtue of being both consistent with their already-established policies, and comprehensibly logical even to non-Catholics. Any explaination of why this auction was wrong which depends on belief in the sacrament is necessarily going to be an explaination which has flimsy-at-best acceptance among non-Catholics.

Chris

Food also cannot be sold on eBay unless it has the nutritional label on it.

I don't know how many packets of hosts have nutritional information. A single one wouldn't.

Laura M. Evans

RE: "It is precisely this that I have been able to see firsthand. A few of my friends did not see the reason I was so upset at ebay not prohibiting the sale of the Eucharist -- they simply did not understand the meaning of it. And they are 30 year olds who went to Catholic grade school. Thanks to this incident (however horrible it was), three people now understand the sacredness of a consecrated host and find it horrifying that ebay allowed it to be put up for sale."

I was communicating on the ebay forums (and Catholic.com forums also)and I got this nice email out of the blue right before I found out about ebay's new policy changes. I thought you all would appreciate it:

Dear glancyevans,
>
> I just wanted to say that I have been following the debate on the
> Eucharist.....and I think you've handled yourself brilliantly and brought
> forward a good strong argument for the cause. I never would have thought
> about this religious symbol that way. But your words have helped me do that.
> Thank you, Kelly
>
Thank you,
> kellys_dogs

This is even more gratifying than silencing the "hecklers" that challenged our protest. It is pretty wonderful that when we have our voices heard, that people listen. What a gift from God.

In Christ through Mary,

Laura M. Evans
Indianapolis, IN.

Verify your Comment

Previewing your Comment

This is only a preview. Your comment has not yet been posted.

Working...
Your comment could not be posted. Error type:
Your comment has been saved. Comments are moderated and will not appear until approved by the author. Post another comment

The letters and numbers you entered did not match the image. Please try again.

As a final step before posting your comment, enter the letters and numbers you see in the image below. This prevents automated programs from posting comments.

Having trouble reading this image? View an alternate.

Working...

Post a comment

Comments are moderated, and will not appear until the author has approved them.